About Spanish Highs, Sierra Nevada Mountain Guides
UK mountain guiding agency, vastly experienced in all things Sierra Nevada!
We are the most experienced, active and knowledgeable mix of foreign and spanish mountain guides operating in the Sierra Nevada. We also run regular expeditions to Patagonia and the Andes. Fully insured and licensed for both guiding activities and for operating as a travel agency.
Local guides using local people with local knowledge. Experience you can trust!
- Provides qualified local guides (speaking english and spanish), living & working permanently in Spain, with vast knowledge and experience of the Sierra Nevada in all weathers
- Provides orangeaccredited instructors of First Aid Courses in Andalucia
- Is an operator of a Responsible Travel and Environment Policy
- Authored the guidebook "Walking and Trekking in the Sierra Nevada" by Cicerone Press
- Adheres to a Responsible Travel and Environment policy.
Since 2002 we have set ourselves incredibly high standards. Not just in mountain competence, but in the ability to communicate, interpret and inform. It is also most important for our clients to have fun!
Our guides have to
- Provide experienced, professional mountain guiding and leadership at all times
- Be enthusiastic, friendly, knowledgeable and committed to the mountains and environment in which they work
- Work closely with local people in their spare time in refuge restoration and conservation work.
- Be fully insured, licensed and registered. Operating since 1992
We insist that our guides have to be the best! The hundreds of comments from previous clients are testament to a way of working that is uniquely "Spanish Highs".
Tripadvisor Traveller Rating
#1 of 4 Outdoor Activities in Lanjaron
Brillant and well organised time spent with Spanish Highs climbing Mulhacen mountain and walking Ruta Medieval, Taha del Pitres. Filipe and Sean guided us up the mountain , and made us feel at ease, then Richard guided us through lovely Spanish villages and to beautiful waterfall's. We also got taken to a lovely restaurant after one of hikes for a beer and pizza. Would highly recommend.
Karen L wrote a review June 2023
A fantastic few days spent with Spanish Highs climbing Mulhacen mountain and walking Ruta Medieval, Taha del Pitres whilst raising money for Guide Dogs UK. All areas were expertly guided with stunning views and several surprises such as mountain goats, waterfalls and the best beer and pizza we could wish for! Spanish Highs made a bespoke itinerary for us which ran like clockwork and was just what we wanted. The guides, Richard, Filipe and Sean were friendly, funny, knowledgeable and 100% professional. We’ll definitely be back for more walks with them soon
Kelvin R wrote a review Jun 2023
You’ll never walk alone in the Alpujarras
Fabulous week in the Alpujarras. Our group of 8 loved the 5 varied, challenging walks with our excellent guides,Felipe and Sean. The Hotel Alcadima is wonderful as was the food they provided. Friendly, helpful staff. All was organised to perfection by Emma at Spanish Highs. Thoroughly recommend.
Allan L wrote a review Jun 2023
Knowledgeable and friendly guided walking
I had never taken a guided walk before so I didn’t really know what to expect, nor if I’d enjoy spending hours each day in the company of complete strangers. How would they deal with a fairly taciturn client who was quite happy walking several miles in complete silence?
Richard’s company is first class and I need not have worried. He has a well chosen roster of seasoned professionals who, aside from being excellent guides to the stunning area, are extremely personable, friendly and totally sensitive to the client’s walking styles. I was fortunate to be accompanied by four different guides over the course of a week.
All had warm, interesting personalities and were completely different but each an absolute pleasure to spend a day with in the mountains. The walking can be as hard or as soft as you like. They instinctively know how to gently push you beyond your usual limits and the walking was invariably stunning and varied. These people love this area and it was an honour to share their knowledge of, and their passion for the mountains - book with confidence, you’ll be well looked after. Highly recommended.
Nick via Trip Advisor
The Guiding Team
Year-round Mountain Guiding with local guides, local people & local knowledge. Experience you can trust!
JensTecnico Deporte 1
EmmaMarketing Director/Aspirant ML
A note about our Founder
- Richard Hartley - Mountaineer and Adventurer
- Has led groups into the mountains since 1979 with 24 alpine seasons (22 ascents of Mont Blanc)
- Leader of 6 expeditions to the Patagonian Icecap and 1 to Aconcagua
- 2013 - was invited to join Berghaus sponsored expedition skiing live volcanoes in Kamchatka
- November 2017 - wrote the guidebook "Walking and Trekking in the Sierra Nevada" published by Cicerone Press
- year round half to full day walks & multi-day treks
- 33 routes including mainland Spain's highest summit
- includes 8 gentler walks in the lower hills of the Cumbres Verdes near Granada
- includes white villages of Trevélez, Lanjarón and Capileira
- showcases the Sierra Nevada's most dramatic scenery
- includes 'Los Tres Picos', 'Los Tres Miles' Integral & overview of Sulayr GR240
- advice on transport, local bases, safety, tick-list of 3000m peaks & Spanish-English glossary